FAQ: Building closures

With in-person instruction resuming August 17th, most buildings will resume normal hours.  But with some employees still working remotely to mitigate COVID-19 transmission, some campus buildings may remain locked or have reduced hours for security.

How do I access my workspace if my building is locked?

If they forgot their own key or access card, employees are encouraged to contact their direct supervisor should they need access to their workspace.

How do I access another locked building for university business or research?

Contact the building supervisor to get into a specific building. Do not expect ISU Police to let you into locked buildings. Building supervisors are listed on ISU's building information website. Locate the building and click on "show building information."

How can I find out which campus buildings are locked?

Individual building hours can be found online at the Facilities Planning and Management (FPM) building information page. Locate a building on the list and click on "See building information."

Will someone be checking on my building?

While public safety and FPM have staff on duty, they are not be able to monitor the entire campus all the time. Unit staff should plan to check their buildings periodically. Trouble calls should go to 515-294-5100 (building concerns) or 515-294-4428 (public safety).

During each inspection of a building:

  • Inspect the exterior of the building for weather-related damage, lighting issues, signs of unauthorized entry and vandalism.
  • Complete a walk-through of all areas of the building to confirm necessary utilities, alarms (including those for laboratory equipment, refrigerators and freezers), and fire protection remain in operation. Inspect for any damage or irregularities to the interior of the building, such as water, mold, freezing, etc.
  • Verify all doors are closed, secured, and locked, including interior doors that provide protection between sections of the facility, and exterior doors that provide access to the building.
  • Confirm equipment and valuable or sensitive items are properly secured.
  • Report: